The Long Awaited First Entry
by Unknown
First of all, I need to apologize
for the procrastination of the log awaited (hopefully long awaited at least!)
first entry of my blog. First my tumblr blog isn’t working for some reason in
Germany. It refused to load and I was getting very frustrated and discouraged.
Secondly the Internet at the base is the pits. There are lots of AMAZING things
about the base, but the wifi connection is not one of them. It makes the camp Internet
look like high speed! Thirdly, I’ve been pretty distracted having the most amazing
3 weeks of my life!!!!!
It’s a little hard to believe that
I’m starting my 4th week in Germany already. It seems like just
yesterday that I left Vancouver, by myself, for an entirely different
continent. I would be lying if I said that I wasn’t a tiny bit scared. Being a
full grown adult can be stressful at times… especially when you have the
maturity level of a 6 year old! But the reality of where I was didn’t
completely set in until I actually had my baggage in hand and walked out of the
airport doors. Let panic start in 3…2…1… PANIC! I started playing the what-if
game in my head. What if I get on the wrong bus? What if the bus driver doesn’t
take bills? What if I end up on the other end of town? Needless to say I took 5
minutes to calm down a bit, and then mustered the courage to actually get on
the bus. I was so preoccupied that I didn’t realize that I never actually paid
the bus driver until I arrived at the actual base and was already in lecture!
Oops! At least I want caught by the German police… I know about 5 words in German!
From there I got on the train and ended up in Lobau. I got picked up there and
arrived at my new home. I got there, dropped off my bags, and ran to the
lecture that was already in progress. I managed to defeat jet lag in that one
day by staying up till 10pm, on about 4 hours of sleep, and not getting any
continuous sleep on the plane. Lets just say that I probably wasn’t all there
the first day… but then again, when am I ever all there!
On a typical day I wake up, go to
worship every morning, get my books and go to lecture, have a coffee break, go
to lecture or core groups, do my work duty (which is working in the kitchen),
and then learn photography. The order may vary and there might be some
omissions but that is my general day. It is so amazing learning photography
from this staff. They are so open to questions and able to help in so many
ways. The main photography leader has actually been displayed in the Louvre, so
I feel honored to have the privilege to learn from such knowledgeable and
accomplished people.
The amount of art here is amazing. I’m
in the largest DTS in all of Europe (about 100+ of us), so there is a wide
variety of people. We have dancers, fine artists, writers, musicians, and
graphic designers as well as photographers. So spontaneous randomness and epic
events are bound to happen with this much creative people in one place! I heard
someone put it this way, “I’m living in a castle, in a German forest, with a
bunch of hipsters from around the world.” I couldn’t have put it better myself.
The speakers that we’ve had have
been amazing as well! The first speaker we had was Donna Jordan, who we got to
have for 2 weeks. She was a joy and a privilege to learn from. She taught us on
learning how to hear God’s voice. The first week I can honestly say that I
cried every day… more than once! Not crying in the bad way though. I didn’t
realize that I had so much pent up baggage and hurt that I had to let Him in
and heal. The second one was Ceelo, who
taught on the fear of the Lord and having an intimate relationship with him. It
was also amazing. I’ve never laughed so much in a lecture in my life! He has so
much wisdom and personality.
Through all the speakers I’m
leaning more about God’s character and how dedicated he is to perusing me and
my love. Learning about his love is just so humbling because he loves so
unconditionally and wholly. He has showed me so much since I’ve been here, and
calmed my heart in so many areas. God is great. Just so great.
There are a few random little
things that I miss about home (besides my family). For one, they don’t have
ranch dressing here. DESTRESSING! I had pizza here and had the hugest craving
for it but couldn’t find it anywhere. I also miss chips. I would give my left
arm for some salt and vinegar Ms Vickies chips. But the little things that I
miss don’t out way the amazing things and experiences that I get to have here.
Where else could I crowd surf, play sardines/hide-and-seek around a castle, buy
mass amounts of chocolate for dirt cheap, and hitchhike legally!
I’m super excited to be in my 4th
week here and continue learning what God has in store for me here. God
has a plan for me, and I’m excited to just be along for the ride.
Awesome Trinda!!! That's so exciting. Although now I am craving chocolate...and nutella!
ReplyDelete