Week 1 of Mini Outreach
by Unknown
My
DTS left Herrnhut last Sunday for Nürnburg do to mini outreach. This being my
first time doing any mission type stuff ever, I probably don’t need to explain
how excited I was, especially if you know how excited I get over just about anything.
We had our entire school (all 120ish of us) waiting at one bus stop, which must
have been a sight for anyone passing by. We had called ahead to the bus company
and warned them that we would be traveling in such a large group. They said
that it was no problem and that they would send two buses. Guess who didn’t
send two buses!! First miracle of the week… fitting 120 students, complete with
traveling backpacks, camera equipment, musical instruments, art supplies and
whatever else you can imagine, onto ONE bus. I was buried under about 4 or 5
backpacks! It was actually so much fun (although I’m sure that the bus driver
would argue otherwise…).
From
the bus we got onto a train, and then transferred to get to Nürnburg. I have
never gotten motion sickness before and now I can officially say that it is NO
FUN! Oh man… It was the craziest train ride I have ever been on. It didn’t help
that I was riding the entire way backwards… that’s probably what did it to be
honest. I have a new found sympathy for people who get motion sick.
Because
we are such a large group of people, once we got to Nürnburg it was time to
split off into groups to stay in our specific locations. My group is staying at
the YMCA right smack-dab in the middle of the city, which is awesome! We’re
really close to everything and get to explore the city at night too (also it’s
perfect for late night McDonalds runs). We are a 3 minute walk from the old
cathedrals and the closest location to the huge castle at the highest point of
the city.
As
a school we were still in lectures this past week. We would listen to lecture
and from there we would go do street evangelism. So far, it’s looked different
every day. Sometime we lead worship on the streets, other time we approach
people and talk to them. At times its more subtle, like leaving notes in books
and change rooms of stores for people to find.
God
has been working so much since we’ve been here. There are countless stories of
how he’s shown his faithfulness and timing here. I actually got quite
discouraged my first few days here. It seemed like every time that I tried to
evangelize it would just turn into a big flop. Nothing would happen and I would
feel like a failure. I was trying so hard I think that I forgot that it wasn’t
me that needed to do the planning, but God. He has the correct timing for
everything.
A
group of 3 of us were sitting in McDonalds and one of us needed to go to the
bathroom. We looked at the bathroom and there was someone collecting money.
Depending on the store in Germany, you have to pay to use the bathroom. I knew
that Starbucks was a place where you didn’t need to pay to use them, so we
headed off there. She went to the bathroom while Ally and I stayed outside and
tried to take advantage of the free wifi. I was having some issues connecting
to it because my iPod touch is positively ancient so we were “complaining”
pretty loudly in a joking manner. A German boy around our age asked if we
needed help. We said no, and that we were just being winey about the wifi and
he laughed. We noticed that he had a guitar case, and being from an arts school
we asked him about it. We got to talking and he invited us to sit down. We told
him what we were doing in Nurnberg and he asked if we were going to talk to him
about that “Jesus stuff”. Ally said that we could if he wanted to, but he
insisted that he didn’t want to. Instead we talked about his band and how they
play on the streets and in bars. He talked about how they were in the process
of mixing and releasing their first CD. We were planning to do worship in front
of the old cathedral that night, and since he was into street music we invited
him and then we parted ways for the day. We didn’t think much of it until later
that night. He actually showed up and got prayer and talked to us for a long
time about Christian morals and our beliefs. He played us some of his songs and
we invited him to the gallery night we were going to have so he could play some
music. He ended showing up and we got to
talk to him some more. Hopefully we’ll get to keep pouring into his life for
the next week we’ll be here! It was just so cool seeing how God works! I asked a German afterwards and she told me
that the lady at McDonalds was actually asking for donations and not payment,
but had we known that we would have never gone to Starbucks and would have
never met him.
There
have also been countless other things that have gone on here like healings and
other “coincidences” like the one that I had (I don’t believe in coincidences
anymore). God is just so perfect and amazing.
Today
is our lazy day; we get to explore and relax and then it’s back to the streets
for another week of awesome! If you wanted to pray me and my DTS, prayer for a
continuing of God’s amazing works through us and for our energy to stay up
would be amazing. God is so good and I’m excited for all the stories that I’ll
get to share about how much he works in all of our lives and missions here.
This is Amy. You rock and I love you and its SO cool that God is doing so much amazing work through you! Keep it up dear friend!! <3
ReplyDelete